Saturday, May 31, 2008

In Honor of Lottie Lee and James Allister


We spent a gorgeous East Texas summer day at a family reunion of my dad's mother's parents (my great grands). We gathered as nine extended families (each wearing a distinctive color) coming from the nine siblings of these two great-great grandparents of my own children.

It was a large gathering complete with BBQ and iced tea- hugs and nostalgia. We had to leave early with a little one who was long overdue for a nap, but I couldn't help but think as we drove down the gravel road toward town and then on to I-20 about Lottie and Al Morris- what they would have thought about the gathering of the day.

I know I would be so proud of my kids, grandkids, great grandkids and great great grandkids. There was no contention, no strife and most importantly- there was a tangible Spirit of love. There were the twenty something cousins talking about how the Lord is leading them around the world for missions, the strong marriages of the families represented, the healthy and happy children running around in the front yard, the organized and beautiful granddaughter who had mobilized this effort to gather the family, and there was a group prayer offered with hands clasped, all giving thanks to God for the food and for each other out of sincere reverence and thankfulness to a faithful God throughout these generations.

What a thought that one day my children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren would gather in my memory to celebrate the gift of family. What blessing, what success it would be to know that my children walked in the ways of God and knew Him.

What a legacy. Thanks, Lottie and Al Morris. And thank you, Lord, for your blessing and love that extends to a thousand generations to those who love you and keep your commandments. (Exodus 20:6)

4 comments:

the mama said...

candace - gotta say - you look fabulous. and your kids are terribly precious, too!
emily

Hill Family said...

You are right! The red really did pop in pictures.

Kate said...

love the pics! sounds like a superb day! And ps- love those shades! of course I would though right????? big and trendy.... look at you hot mama!

The Harrigan Family said...

That pic of you and Anna Grace is fabulous, buteven more importantly, I am amazed at the difference it makes when there is a history of belief. The generational blessing that comes with great-grands who pray and teach their children to. You know? The Lord is so connected to families and how we function, I am ever grateful for the one I came in to. Love you all- lyd