Thursday, February 14, 2013

Eucharisteo

 "Some days I pick up a camera and it's a hammer.  The lens is my ink, for cameras have sensor eyes, and pixels record... I too, had read it often, the oft-quoted verse: 'And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ' (Ephesians 5:20).  And I , too, would nod and say straight-faced, 'I'm thankful for everything.'  But in this counting gifts, to one thousand, more, I discover that slapping a sloppy brush of thanksgiving over everything in my life leaves me deeply thankful for very few things in my life.  A lifetime of sermons on 'thanks in all things' and the shelves sagging with books on these things and I testify: life-changing gratitude does not fasten to a life unless nailed through with one very specific nail at a time.  Little nails and a steady hammer can rebuild a life- eucharisteo precedes the miracle."  Ann Voskamp from One Thousand Gifts
 My Kathy and I have done a lot of reading together and a lot of praying together in these weeks that have added up to months that have added up to years, but our newest venture is to pick up a hammer and pound out the discipline of gratitude together.  I don't know what that will look like- whether I'll post here all 1,000 or just excerpts here and there, but today is the day to begin and today was easy.   


1.  blueberries all dusty looking but delicious tasting, satisfying my craving for something sweet quite perfectly
2.  little boys in ties, yellow roses in hand for their grandmother on Valentine's Day
3.  that moment I see Jack coming around the corner to meet me for lunch and the smile it brings

And we've begun- Eucharisteo!

 (check out Ann Voskamp's book and join us - good stuff!)



No comments: