Monday, April 8, 2013

Don't forget


"The man who forgets to be thankful has fallen asleep in life."  Robert Louis Stevenson

It was four o'clock in the morning and my monster-rage had been unleashed.  The first two times a little one wakes up crying, I always roll out of bed and patiently get them water or covers or whatever they might need and crawl back in bed without thinking twice about it.  But when the complaining cries continue- when they wake up siblings and when they have me up for the day at a too-early hour- I go crazy and yell at crying children as if that helps.

I lose it.

And what I forget is that even in sleeplessness, I am blessed with grace upon grace and I don't deserve any of it.  I wake up and I refocus and read my devotional about falling asleep in life and I know that asleep in life is much worse than awake without sleep.  Again I am reminded that thanklessness propels me to selfishness and all kinds of sin, so I stop again and awake- really awake- to the reality of God's grace even in the midst of crying babies in the wee hours of the morning.

Thank you, God, for good nights of sleep cut short.  It only means I am blessed with crying children to love.

Amen. 


1 comment:

Lauren said...

LOVE IT. Thank you. And Amen.