Tuesday, September 24, 2013

a list

 1.  For this morning's photo shoot, I headed north on the old road to Gilliam, Louisiana.  We ended up in some cotton fields that were on or very near the land my great-great grandfather and/or great-great uncle lived on and farmed.  It was over-the-levee grace. All that morning light hitting the cotton and that earthy smell and even the feel of the soft to the seed cotton in my hand- it was all grace, so undeserved.

Thank you, Lord- the whole earth is full of your glory.  (Isaiah 6:3)



2.  Maybe it's because I'm still reading Charlotte's Web with the boys, but this spider web caught my eye tonight.  Isn't it amazing?  (Nice work with the spiders, God, and thank you).  It reminded me of Charlotte's explanation of her magnum opus.   In the book, Wilbur the pig is asking about her newly formed egg sac and she explains:
"It is my egg sac, my magnum opus."
"I don't know what a magnum opus is," said Wilbur.
"That's Latin," explained Charlotte, "it means 'great work'"  This egg sac is my great work- the finest thing I have ever made."

We all have a magnum opus, I do think. 

3.  To finish up my disjointed list tonight, I leave you with these sweet babies.  Aren't they the cutest? 


 On Sunday, I realized that we had spent Thursday night eating homemade pasta with six great friends, Friday night rolling around on the floor and laughing with these cuties, Saturday night playing a pick up soccer game with our dear friends the Harpers, and Sunday night with four other couples discussing how to be patient and kind with our children.

So maybe it's not such a disjointed list afterall- cotton, spiderwebs, friends- all unmerited gifts, all grace, all given by our Father who really knows how to give.

Eucharisteo. 

No comments: