Thursday, October 10, 2013

time gained


I took this picture of Zeke yesterday, the eve of my 36th birthday.

It conveys, in part, what I hope is the posture of my heart for my next trip around the sun:  a happy dependency as a child of God, an upward gaze of gratitude for all the light and all the gifts, a readiness to slide ever lower as I am set to decrease so that He may increase.  

I know Him as my faithful Father, always ready to catch me.

The gifts were so many today:  adorable videos via text, a voicemail that made me cry, so much sunshine, a good longish early (EARLY) run, a facial, fingernails turned a shiny red, my favorite foods, a favorite frame for my favorite picture, the best card I've ever received, a tribute toast from my favorite person, a freezer full of blueberries, a photo task entrusted to me, bananas fostered, and a FB party of undeserving messages to boot.

I am so grateful, so very grateful as I gaze upwards at the God who gave so many good gifts.

And here I go, ready for my 37th year, at the top of a slide that will take me down into eternity and life forever.  

Outwardly wasting, inwardly renewed.  

Time gained isn't so bad.


He bent forward and just touched her nose with his tongue.  His warm breath came all around her.  She gazed up into his large wise face.  "Welcome, child," he said.
"Aslan," said Lucy, "you're bigger."
"That is because you are older, little one," answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not," he said.  "But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."
-C.S. Lewis, Prince Caspian

No comments: