Friday, November 8, 2013

like Hannah



 I recently revisited Hannah's story while reading Beth Moore's A Heart Like His

Specifically, I was reading about Hannah's resolute trust and surrender to God as she gave her Samuel to the Lord.  Not only did she dedicate him to be set apart as a Nazirite, but she took him to the temple to be raised by a priest as soon as he was weaned.  This was her sacrifice of thanksgiving. In the book, Moore explains that "Hebrew mothers, according to the accounts recorded in the Apocrypha (2 Mac. 7:27), customarily nursed their children until they were about three years old." 

Asher is three years old now. 

It made me think about how I could take his little hand in mine and look into those little blue eyes and tell him about what's going to happen next.  How I could pack him a few things and then hand him over and walk away.   

Hannah was as hero of the faith for sure. 

But even though the Lord may not be calling me to send my child to the temple to be raised by someone else, I still must surrender in equal measure.  And by equal measure, I mean I must surrender fully. 

My children are not mine- ultimately.  They are the Lord's. 

It's not always an easy truth to hold on to, but it's a freeing one- the Lord is so much more capable to take care of them than I am. I cannot always be there.  Thankfully, He can. 

I will do my part to train them up but I must let go- surrender like Hannah- and know that the Lord is God and I am not and He's a Good Shepard and and I need not fear for their hearts or their lives because they are in good hands. 

His hands. 

Oh that we could all always remember to have a heart of brave surrender like Hannah. 
























1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Oh my and amen. He is such a good daddy and sometimes it is such a hard surrender. Thanks for the reminder-
:)