Wednesday, November 27, 2013

only Him


 A psalm of David.  When he was in the Desert of Judah.
"O God, you are my God, 
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you, 
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water."  Psalm 63:1

If I were in a dry and weary land- a desert- and if I were thirsty, I would probably pray for water.

Lord, help me find water.  

Lord, lead me out of this awful place. 

Something like that.  But instead, while David was struggling in the desert without water, he didn't cry out asking God to give him water.  He asked for God more of God.  He didn't seek water, he sought its Creator-source.  Oh, the paradigm shift! 
 I find myself in quite the opposite position, and yet the truth is the same.  If you're reading this, there is a good chance that you do, too.  

When our shopping carts are rolling storehouses of abundance, when bathtubs and sinks are routinely full, when the wine flows and when our Thanksgiving table (and our everyday table, really) is an extravagant feast, we are not thirsty and we do not go hungry AND YET what really satisfies can elude us if we're not careful.

And I wish I had always been careful, but I haven't.

There is no food and no drink that satisfies like the refreshment of Living Water or like the sustaining comfort of the Bread of Life.  Really. 

Hungry or well-fed, parched or quenched, we do well to remember that we do not live by bread alone.  HE is what we need, what our seeking, needy hearts long for.

At our full tables this week, I hope to remember that it is more of HIM that I need and only GOD that I seek. I will give thanks for abundance, but I hope to remember that it is so temporary and so incomparable to the true, abundant life we find in Jesus and his love.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends! 

2 comments:

The Rupps said...

I love love love love love love love this picture.

And its subjects.

lifeinthevillage said...

Amen and amen! And I LOVE the pic too. :)