Friday, January 31, 2014

that old loom


Can't you just see it now?   In 25 years, people everywhere born between 2008-2003 will be in some sort of social forum (who knows what that will look like) and there will be some sort of "Remember When?" quiz or photo and they will collectively sigh and remember the Rainbow Loom as part of their childhood.  I don't think I'm overstating this.  Boys and girls all across America have poured over their plastic looms for hours with those tiny rubber bands and have weaved all kinds of colorful plastic creations.  It is THE thing. 

And I'm not complaining.  How can I when I find sweet notes by my bed and when even little brother gets a "get well soon" bracelet? 


I've seen the activity foster diligence, problem-solving, and generosity.  It might even be worth the little rubber bands turning up in nooks and crannies. 

And in 25 years, I don't think it will only be people like Anna Grace who look back at the Rainbow Loom with nostalgia.  I think maybe older people like me will remember the looming days as the golden days of our child's life. 

We, too, will remember the ol' Rainbow Loom and smile. 




No comments: