Sunday, March 30, 2014

a corker


All this past week my phone has displayed white on black CS Lewis brilliance.  Written in 1938 as the first book of a trilogy I can't wait to finish, Out of the Silent Planet is a real corker of a book (corker being one of the  many words I learned from the book which means a remarkable or astounding person or thing). I enjoyed every wonderful word and my imagination soared with the protagonist's trip through the heavens.  It was as rich with imagery as it was with philosophy and implied theology.  

I highly recommend it.  

Some of my favorites from the book:  

"Moreover, he knew nothing yet well enough to see it:  you cannot see things till you know roughly what they are."  

"To every man, in his acquaintance with a new art, there comes a moment when that which before was meaningless first lifts, as it were, one corner of the curtain that hides its mystery, and reveals, in a burst of delight which later and fuller understanding can hardly ever equal, one glimpse of the indefinite possibilities within."

"...now that very name 'Space' seemed a blasphemous libel for this empyrean ocean of radiance in which they swam... No: Space was the wrong name.  Older thinkers had been wiser when they named it simply the heavens..."

"My people have a law never to speak much of sizes or numbers to you others, not even to sorns.  You do not understand, and it makes you do reverence to nothings and pass by what is really great."

Especially if Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy were your childhood friends, Dr. Ransom should be your grown up chum.  I only wish I had read it sooner!  

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

The boys and I just finished last night the Silver Chair and are starting the Last Battle. I love Lewis these days and oh the vocabulary! (Not to mention the glorious double meanings all about!)