Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day everyday

forever thankful


It's nice to be honored on Mother's Day.  The coffee by my bedside when I woke up was wonderful. My husband gave me gifts and really did well making me feel honored and loved.  My daughter made me the sweetest card in the history of cards.  Zeke was ultra kind to his little brother, reading to him and tucking him in for a nap.

But really, now that I have some experience I can safely say that it's the other 364 days really run more smoothly. Wouldn't you know it, I enjoy Father's Day and Christmas and Thanksgiving and all those other harder-working holidays more.  Wouldn't you know it, it IS better to give than to receive and being a servant really IS great.

Isn't that what makes motherhood so amazing?  It's counterintuitive in a lot of ways, but I'm starting to see that all the mundane day-to-day work is not only necessary but it's transformative.  The effort (the EFFORT) and time and sacrifice it takes to raise a little person changes you and makes you better. When you avoid the kitchen and hide from the laundry and shirk responsibility by playing the Mother's Day card like I'm apt to do, you end up missing out on the spirit of service that you're celebrating in the first place.

I have not arrived.  I forget and lose perspective.  I lose my patience. I don't have perfect kids or and I sure don't keep a perfect home.  I writhe at the thought of my backlogged laundry, but if I can keep refocusing on this opportunity to serve, my perspective can shift and I can again remember that what I do day in and day out matters and in the end, it is very great indeed.

Very great.

I'm with Ann Voskamp:  Mother's Day is for the birds.

"Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, 'Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.'" Mark 9:35



No comments: