Monday, June 2, 2014

growing up beautifully

I love this picture- so Anna Grace- from our mother-daughter night out to see her best friend's ballet recital
I was at her parent-teacher conference a few weeks ago when Anna Grace's teacher moved past test scores and grades and said, "You know, she's so smart, but there is so much that we can't measure. Anna Grace just brings so much to the table." She then went on to tell me a story about how they had been working on vocabulary and connotations of words one day in class when they came across the word "value."  After talking about how the word can mean more than how much something costs, Anna Grace chimed in with her two cents:

"You know, it's like that song- 'you only know you love her when you let her go.'"

Value.

Letting her go.

I'm beyond grateful I have 9 more years or so of this creative, spritely beauty at home and that the letting go is delayed for now.  I value her greatly, but I do have a feeling I'll value her even more when she flaps her wings and flies our little family nest.  My heart will hurt and I can tell you with great certainty that there will be some ugly crying on my part when I pull out of the parking lot of her first college dorm room.

Because it's true- she is so smart, but there's so much we can't measure.  She just brings so much to the table.

Man, how I love my Anna Grace.  

No comments: