Monday, February 2, 2015

a day in the life


Day in the Life from Candace Chaney on Vimeo.

a few thoughts about this project:

-  I was inspired by what my friend Sarah shared with me, a link to Wildflowers Photography's Harvest Sessions.  It was so inspiring and beautiful that I thought I'd give it a go.  I feel like the finished product is a good start, but I am taking Ira Glass' words to heart and I plan on doing a large volume of work so that I can improve.  It was great fun, though, and it felt like worship, a "thank you, God" with each click.  My happiness rose from the endeavor itself.

- Self portraits are hard.  It would be easier to be a fly on the wall and capture a family that I wasn't actually a part of and I was of course limited by all the actual life work I did throughout the day.

- This exercise opened my eyes to how our days are like snowflakes- each a gift and each totally unique.  Never again will we celebrate Sam's eighth birthday or watch Anna Grace's first basketball game and the next time we see the little Bethard girls, they'll be a little bit older.  Every day has its own challenges and victories.  Our Mondays don't look like our Saturdays and our Januaries don't look like our Junes.  Years change us and today is so very unlike any other day that will come or has past.  I'm glad to have captured this one.

-  Jack loves Saturdays.  It was fun to capture his favorite day.

-  Yes, that is Nacho Libre.  "Those guys are a couple of woosies, eh?"

-  Zeke and Jack went to Zeke's basketball game while I stayed home to grab a shower, so I missed his two baskets at the game.  But that's why he's holding up two fingers.

-  My friend Meg is pregnant.  In her third tri.  Hence the crazy belly pic.

-  final thoughts courtesy Shauna Neiquest:

“I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. And I don't want to get to the end, or to tomorrow, even, and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and receipts and dirty dishes. I want to eat cold tangerines and sing out loud in the car with the windows open and wear pink shoes and stay up all night laughing and paint my walls the exact color of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets and throw parties and eat ripe tomatoes and read books so good they make me jump up and down, and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift.”

I do love the gift.  Thanks, God!  

Again!  Again!  

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Oh I love this. How I love this. :)