Sunday, February 15, 2015

holding him






Yesterday, we finished the last word of the Chronicles of Narnia.  We were lying there on the new trampoline in the afternoon sun and I read it to my little boy on the last day of his eighth year:

  And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.
- CS Lewis, The Last Battle

Hugs or long talks may be hard to come by with Zeke, but I held him with the words of these stories.  I wrote him a letter in what is now his copy of the stories and even though he's moved on today (and to be honest, who knows how into it he really was),  I hope that one day he'll know it as a holding, a love gift from his mom. 

Today on his eighth birthday, I can't stop thinking about his own story and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds. As Aslan bid his friends to move further up and further in, I hope to encourage him to work out his own adventure story with God because as always in His inside-out upside-down kingdom, "the inside is larger than the outside." 

Further up and further in, Zeke, and happy birthday!  I love you. 

Always,
Mom


No comments: