Tuesday, April 14, 2015

even then

my Easter babies- for these three, I'm thankful
"This is what I've come to believe about change:  it's good, in the way that childbirth is good, and heartbreak is good, and failure is good.  By that I mean that it's incredibly painful, exponentially more so if you fight it, and also that it has the potential to open you up, to open life up, to deliver you right into the palm of God's hand, which is where you wanted to be all along, except that you were too busy pushing and pulling your life into exactly what you thought it should be... So this is the work I'm doing now, and the work I invite you into:  when life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate.  And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow."  Shauna Niequist, Bittersweet

It's true for change and it may also be true for things that don't change- things you just have to plow through day after day when you can see no end in sight.  But maybe that's the point.  It's not about what we see, it's about trusting in what we can't see.  Whether He's nudging us forward or holding us still, we must trust that He loves us and He knows best.

He is good.  All the time.

Even when the sewer backs up into your house.  Again.

Even then.  

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Loooooooove the outfits. And so don't love the sewer situation. Seriously. But, I read that quote last night before bed and it almost made my cry. I feel like I've been saying it for years, and not to hear it in that book is like "maybe I'm not insane. You know?"