Monday, August 31, 2015

just do your best



On game three, day two of the Cabosa Cup soccer tournament, I was sitting at the edge of my seat, so sweaty but so proud.  And having so much fun.

My eight-year-old middle child, such a sweet spirited, sometimes-hesitant and always-cautious kid, was giving it all he had on the soccer field.  The score was irrelevant- Zeke was running as fast as he could, playing the best that he could and what else could you ever ask for?  I had watched from the sidelines too many times knowing he was holding back, not disappointed (after all, I share his middle childness and his hesitancy) but hopeful that one day he would give it all he's got.  That's all I wanted to see- Zeke having fun ("so much fun!" he said), doing his best, giving his best, playing his best.

so proud of this guy

It's so simple:  just do your best.

We're given an inhale as a gift.  We can exhale with our best effort as an offering of thanksgiving.

Our Father loves us fully when we're struggling and when we're on the bench and even when we throw up our hands, but I think He must really love it when we just do our best.  He's spoken it to my heart these past months and it's true:  You can't do everything, just do everything you can.  When we give it our all day by day and hour by hour, I think He must be smiling wide saying, "That's my girl!" I don't think He's ever disappointed in us as much as He's hopeful for us, that we would look to Him for strength and run full force the path before us.  Just doing our best.

Like Andy Stanley pointed out in our study last night, his invitation to in-the-midst-of-great-sin-and-shame tax collector Matthew was simple:  "Follow me."  Its simplicity is freeing, isn't it?  You don't have to be perfect or have it all together, you just accept the invitation to follow Jesus and you do your best minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.  You do your best for Him and when you fall down, you ask Him to help you up.

You just do your best.

Amen. 

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart..." Colossians 3:23

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Amen. Only just your best . . . it goes back to the saying no chapter in bittersweet. You know? Love it- and thankful for the reminder. :)