Tuesday, August 4, 2015

the long struggle short

If many aspects of your life seem like a long struggle, you're not alone. I feel that way, too.

I realize my life is pretty sweet and I need to get back on the gratitude train, but even so, some things just seem like permanent struggles, my own sin and shortcomings premier in the line-up.

But in my morning fill-up-my-cup spot, I was reading about the Lord speaking through Samuel, choosing David, and anointing him as King years before he actually took the throne.  I've read the story before, so I know there is a long struggle ahead for David. 

From my journal in which I ask lots of questions:

Why was Saul allowed to go on so long?  Why the long struggle with Saul and David?  Maybe God was building David's character?  

After all, "The Lord does not look at the things people look at.  People look at the outward appearance.  The Lord looks at the heart."  I Samuel 16:7

And this:

"...but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."  Romans 5:4

And of course, the long struggle seems long, but it only seems that way.  We pass through life and learn and grow and then one Day the long struggle will seem like a whisper of a moment. 

In the meantime, we persevere and we gain character and we hope in the One who knows the struggle and will end it. 

Amen. 

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Oh yes. Amen and amen. How I miss you my friend!!!! Love hearin your thoughts. :)