Thursday, September 24, 2015

wanderings

1.  When my mom moved out of her house, I inherited some of the classic literature collected from our required reading in high school. I recently picked up Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea.  I don't remember if I had read it before as high school was a good 20 years ago, but I loved it.  What a story!  My favorite quote:

"Now is no time to think of what you do not have.  Think of what you can do with what there is."  

Even now, I feel bedraggled and time-poor.  But it's so true- now is no time to think of what energy and time I don't have. What can I do with what there is- that is the question.

2.  I think I've mentioned it a time or two before, but my husband loves college football.  But even though his purple and gold love runs deep, his love for us runs deeper still.  Case in point: Jack very well could have decided our five-year-old was better off not going to Saturday's game.  Instead, on one of the hottest game days of all time, my husband held our sweaty, sleeping son in Tiger Stadium and left early so to take care of him.  This is love.


3.  Speaking of loving your kids, my Wednesday morning group has been reading and discussing Mark Batterson's book Praying Circles Around Your Children.  It's short on pages, but packs a punch with its message.

"Prayer is the way we take our hands off and place our children in the hands of God." 

It's so good, y'all.

4. Speaking of good:  "Thin Blue Flame" by Josh Ritter.  I may be late to the game, but this is one of my recent favorites. He's got a new album coming out soon and he'll be in Dallas in January so..... yes.

5.  I don't know what the deal is with National Such and Such Day, but FB sure does keep you up to speed on it all.  So to bookend the post, I'd like to take the opportunity to express my gratitude to our amazing Creator and generous Giver for Anna Grace on this National Daughter Day.  I'm so glad she's mine.


And that is all.

Onward.  

2 comments:

lifeinthevillage said...

Beautiful my friend.

James Blanc said...

That family looks pretty happy. I'm working on a new article dedicated to a topic of children improvement. I want to share some useful information on a topic of writing tips at Writers Per Hour.