Friday, October 9, 2015

lace up

I've recently espouced my love for an early morning. Similarly, I declare a plain old walk underrated.  

I don't mean an athletic walk- although an athletic walk has merits all its own.  I mean the kind of walk in which one saunters around the block, the kind that clears the head, the walk that is unhurried and quiet.  
 

For the most part, I have my dog to thank for this revelation.  Every now and then Banjo lets me know he really needs to take a lap and so we stop what we're doing and we go.  Like the habit of photography, a slow walk has a way of helping one notice the small things- everyday things missed as we whiz past in our SUV's.  And Lord knows we need to move.  Americans sit for about eight hours per day- valuing a quick walk might help us all sharpen our minds, bodies, and spirits.  

So take a break and take a walk and see what you can see.  Hear what you can hear.  Just like an early morning sunrise, a slow walk is a good gift that can reconnect you to the One who paints color in the skies. 

Lace up and go.  
  

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Oh yes. This is my favorite thing to do. Our whole family loves to meander. . . . :)