Friday, November 13, 2015

you are what you eat




A homily earlier this year, given by the Very Reverend Alston Johnson, has stuck with me, rattling around in my brain and heart through these busy weeks.  It went something like this (a general idea at least):

A native American boy was out with his grandfather in the woods when one day, they came to a cliff. Looking down they saw two wolves- a black wolf and a white wolf.  They were fighting.

"What does it mean, Grandfather?" the little boy asked.

"There are two wolves within each of us, Grandson.  Fighting.  One is good.  One is evil."

"But which one will win in us?"  the boy asked.

"The one you feed, Grandson."

...

Jesus is the Bread of Life, you know.  When you feed on Him, the Spirit of God grows in You and you are controlled by Him.

...

You are what you eat, you know.

...

The words rang true throughout the Cathedral and my Hope is that I will daily surrender, not playing the part of Wicked, but instead yield to love and life and light, day by day as I FEED on true Bread.

Amen.

Thanks, Alston.

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”  John 6:51

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Perfect. And with the imagery to boot. Love it-