Sunday, December 6, 2015

picturing advent: days 3 & 4

The story continues as Creation is followed by the fall and the flood. Both stories involve us humans mess-making and in both cases, the Lord asks for nearness and trust : "But the Lord God called to the man, 'Where are you?'"  (Genesis 3:9) and "The Lord then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation."  (Genesis 7:1)

These past few weeks are so full but as a photographer, I find myself kneeling in front of Christmas trees taking pictures of babies and it's not lost on me that He can whisper to my heart a where-are-you in the midst of these days that are so full of work and preparations and celebrations and my own mess-making and even grief as my friends move away.  

"The shepherds at those tidings

Rejoiced much in mind,

And left their flocks a-feeding
In tempest, storm and wind:
And went to Bethlehem straightway
The Son of God to find.
O tidings of comfort and joy,
Comfort and joy
O tidings of comfort and joy."
Here's to going to Him straightaway in our own tempest, storm and wind. In the midst of all our messes, the Lord asks "Where are you?"   He wants us to come.  

No comments: