Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Year of the Snorkel



"The delay that instructs and prepares saves time, never loses it.  From it one can walk with a step of assurance and a heart of flame."  Raymond Edman



When I told one of my friends about my upcoming trip, she asked, "Oh, what year will it be this year?" alluding to my Year of the Avocado.  I told her I didn't know, but I loved the question.  I would ask God. 




And so I sat before all the light and beauty of a Mexican morning and whispered a few prayers, mostly quiet. Stopping, a sabbath.

I wasn't sure yet- everything in life seemed kind of a stew of things. Anne Morrow Lindbergh's words about oyster-bed life in her book Gift from the Sea resonates in me- this time that life at home is full with children and activity and everything is more functional than beautiful.   Steve Wien's book Beginnings points me to a need to stop and rest in God more often and with more rhythm and regularity.  And I am beginning lots of new things, this year feels like a year of beginnings.  Bible study has brought me to Ezra and rebuilding of the Temple- this year will be full of building things and starting things and again, raising up these kids of ours.  So oysters again.

But then, it's not about me is it?  Self-absorption, my own worst distraction keeps me from the wisdom of remembering that it's not my circumstances or my work or my heart or my anything- it's about the light and life of God and what He's doing in and among me and my community and the world.

Eyes on Him.

On this trip of ours, a few of us went snorkeling in the very chilly turquoise waters of Isla Mujeres.  It was my first time.  I put the mouth bit in and practiced the breathing- once my face was in the water, I was blown away.  All I could hear was my breath and all I could see was an underwater world like I had never seen it- coral swaying, zebra fish so close I could almost reach out and grab them, and barracudas.  Head above water: an ocean of choppy waves.  Head in the water: a theater of grace and beauty.

So maybe this is my year to stop looking at the waves of my circumstances.  Maybe they'll be rough, maybe they'll be smooth, but the point is to look at Beauty (My Savior whose name is Salvation) and just breathe through it.  Look at the Beauty, always look for the Beauty.

And there it is.  The Year of the Snorkel.



my first time snorkeling- did I mention I had a blast?! photo: Jack Chaney :)


always always:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Oh I love it. The year of the snorkel. I went once too- many years ago, but remember distinctly the peace under the water. Absolutely beautiful. Love you friend-