Thursday, March 3, 2016

witness

"...it will be established forever like the moon, the faithful witness in the sky."  Psalm 89:37

I couldn't find the moon- that faithful witness- on Tuesday night.  I was looking for it because my daily Lent photo challenge had me hunting for the word "witness," and the moon seemed just right.  Witness was the right word for the day, too.  Mid-morning I got one of those phone calls.  You know the ones- the one where you see that it's your friend or your sister and you're answer all chipper like "Hey, how's it going?" and then you hear the tears and the bad news and your heart sinks all the way to your stomach. 

So for most of the rest of the day I was sad but strangely nervous- absent-mindedly floating from task to task, not really getting anything done.  It was all just too sad and I was looking for something unchanging and true- a witness to the end of suffering and pain. 

I thought of the women at the empty tomb- of Peter running to tell the others that Jesus was alive. 

Witness. 

I bet the moon had been out that early morning when the ground shook and the stone was rolled away.  The moon saw it - witnessed it- this resurrection hope made manifest in a beaten and crucified God-Man rising from the grave. 

All our bad news stands in such contrast to the Good News that sin and death are overcome in the resurrection of Jesus- the hope of Easter living. 

Until all is made right again, we will weep and bear one another's burdens and mourn with all our bad news phone calls.  But we will also witness life reborn because of a Death-Defeating God who loves us and will see us through until that Day.

Witness. 

1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

Amen and amen. I have been sick all week and got so stuck on witness. I long for it, but finally landed on one that wasn't really what I was looking for. You nailed it on the head. Thanks friend-