Monday, June 6, 2016

because I really want to know



When sharing pictures- something I am compelled by my Maker to do- I mostly share what makes gratitude swell in my heart.  I share what makes me smile.  I click with a "thanks God" on the tip of my tongue.  If you know me well, you'll receive all kinds of texts and talks about the whole of life- the struggles and the suffering along with the victories and the highlights- but when it comes to photographing and documenting life, I search for the light and the good and the lovely and that's what I share.  Because isn't that what Paul told us to do in Philippians?  Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things?  (Philippians 4:8)

Whatever is true.

I say this because I really want to know- is it untrue to photograph all the light and not the dark?

Isn't it a given that all of us struggle?  That ALL of us suffer to one degree or another?  Isn't it a given that life is hard and the world is fallen and everyday there are battles that we all face?  Do we need to show each other our darkness so that we can somehow look down noses at each other to feel better about ourselves?

Isn't there a fine line between realism and pessimism, authenticity and self deprecation?

I really want to know because that first thing that Paul said- and I've never caught it before now- is whatever is TRUE.

Truth sets us free and the truth is that my life isn't perfect, but it is redeemed and with every dark place there is a chance to look for light and maybe even a chance to give thanks.

The impetus for this picture was a photo prompt - "a case of the Mondays"- by one of the online forums that I follow.  I don't have a lot of photos like this, but my life is riddled with them and I'm sure yours is too.

My heart's eye is a light-seeking one but I don't think that makes it untrue or unreliable or even worse- inauthentic- but maybe there's more light-in-darkness photos to be taken, the hard eucharisteo.
Hmmmm.... we'll (hopefully) see.  

No comments: