Wednesday, August 31, 2016

full circle

At my friend Rachel's photo shoot, her sister took pics of me doing my thing and I had no idea.  Thanks Samira Sayad Photography! 

"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.  He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'"  Job 37:5-6


"I love the freedom and grace that flood through me when I read this passage from Job.
God says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth.'  That's it.  Just do one thing... Essentially, he's saying:  just do the thing I've created you to do.  You're rain: so rain. You're snow: so snow.
I love the simplicity of that, the tremendous weight that takes off my shoulders.  God's asking me to be the thing he's created me to be.  And he's asking you to be the thing he's already created for you to be...
Think about your adolescent self, your child self, the 'you' you've always been.  God imprinted a sacred, beautiful collection of passions and capacities right onto your heart:  what do you love?  What does your passion bubble over for?
So much of adulthood is peeling off the layers of expectation and pressure, and protecting those precious things that lie beneath.  We live in a culture that shouts, that prescribes rather narrowly what it means to be a woman, what it means to be a success, what it means to live a valuable life.
But those definitions require us to live on a treadmill, both literally and figuratively, always hustling to fit in...
The snow is only meant, created, commanded to fall.  The rain is only meant, created, commanded to pour down.  You were only meant, created, commanded to be who you are, weird and wonderful, imperfect and messy and lovely."                                                                                              an excerpt from Present over Perfect by Shauna Niequist 




Me?  I've learned that God meant, created, commanded me to do a few things and one of those things is catch some light and some moments with a camera.





I'm bummed it took me as long as it did to realize, but still, I'm grateful for the journey and the coming back around to my child self, my photo loving, camera wearing self.  Full circle.


No comments: