Thursday, November 17, 2016

trials and truth




PLEASE watch this TED talk.  It's so great.  And basically, what's she's saying is this:

"Don't run from tests and hardships, brothers and sisters.  As difficult as they are, you will ultimately find joy in them; if you embrace them, your faith will blossom under pressure and teach you true patience as you endure.  And true patience brought on by endurance will equip you to complete the long journey and cross the finish line- mature, complete, and wanting nothing."  James 1:2-4 The Voice translation

Kelly is preaching without even knowing she's preaching.  

I think about my friend in Egypt learning a new language and caring for her kids in a foreign culture. I think about my friend who now has to raise two kids by herself having lost her husband this summer.
I think about my friend whose mom just left suddenly to be with Jesus.
I think about teaching this to my kids, especially the one who struggles with anxiety.
I think about how starting a new business is trial-filled.

It's all about putting on that belt of truth that I learned about this summer.  Trials can FEEL awful but the truth is that trials are teachers and God will equip us in every way to help us endure.  He gave us bodies that respond viscerally to stress and hearts that have the capacity to persevere and grow in courage.  

I'm renewing my mind in truth today- not asking for trials, but when they come, I'm going back to James 1.  

No comments: