Sunday, February 12, 2017

in the middle of things


When your kids are little, the meat of mom life revolves around poo and pee and making sure everyone stays alive and that everyone sleeps when they're supposed to (God help me, God helped me) and eats what they're supposed to.  Of course, the cuddles and the heart melting cuteness is a total and complete pay-off, but one day you'll wake up and realize that your middle child is turning 10 on a very middle-life year of your life and you understand that the middle is where you are.  And after maybe little nostalgia, you also realize that the middle is a pretty sweet place to be in and of itself. You have a family of personalities as distinct as the cast of characters in AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh and you see this family dynamic congealing and forming something really unique and holy and pleasant.

We pre-celebrated Zeke's 10th birthday in Dallas this weekend- just us- and it was fitting that I'm seeing that my easy-going middle child on his middle of childhood birthday on my middle of life year is showing me the sweetness and joy of the middle.

Happy birthday, my sweet Z.  We love you big. 













1 comment:

lifeinthevillage said...

I love this in the middle reality. So true, so true. We are so in the middle. Working on appreciating it more though. . . because so much of my life here feels like the beginning. Trying to not resent the fact that I am doing the beginning things in the middle. Haha.