Monday, July 20, 2009
A wedding list
Don't you just love weddings?
I decided I like them so much, a list of my favorite features of the Dent/Monette wedding was in order. In honor of my little brother and his beautiful new bride, here's my top 10:
1. The beauty of it all - from the flowers to the bride herself, it was simply beautiful.
2. As is true with most family weddings, there are the hugs from aunts and uncles and cousins and grandmothers that you've gone too long without. I love how an event like this brings us back together- if even for a short time.
3. Specific to the Dent/Monette wedding was the wonderfully graceful and classy way my mom pulled off having to throw a party on her own. She stood with such bold love and grace as she toasted and blessed Amber and Jonny at the rehearsal dinner. The waterworks turned on early and often at the sight and sound of this beautiful woman. I've never been more proud of my momma.
4. Okay, so maybe I'm biased, but I think we had the most beautiful flower girl and the most handsome "ringmaster" on the face of the planet. Even though no rings or flowers were actually handled, these bell ringers provided great entertainment for the pre-game show.
I mean really... how cute are they?
5. The bride's bouquet toss was a riot. My grandmother and mom got all up in the action and I'll never forget my cousin Sarah consoling Memaw as she was escorted away empty-handed. "Maybe next time, Memaw!" It was hilarious.
6. And then there's the dancing. The band was great- some kind of jazz trio- and let me tell you...my brother has some moves. I was honored to get the last dance with the groom and lucky that his fast movin patent leather shoes didn't catch my bare feet (I had the cutest, most uncomfortable shoes ever!)
7. The way Amber held back her tears and squeaked her way through the vows. Her heart was moved and it moved us all.
8. The way my brother wiped her tears away. So sweet.
9. The prayers that the love of my life lifted up over these two. Again, I'm partial, but I love the way my husband pours words of love over couples at weddings, lifting them up to the One who created man for woman. He seems to be asked to do that a lot and I love it.
10. The union itself - the Lord joining Amber and Jonathan in a holy and gloriously intimate relationship, reminding us of the great love He has for us.
So here's to the happy couple. Congrats, Jonny and Amber! Love and blessings for your journey through life together!